Current:Home > InvestDefendant who attacked judge in wild courtroom video will face her again in Las Vegas -VisionFunds
Defendant who attacked judge in wild courtroom video will face her again in Las Vegas
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 14:09:58
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A defendant who was captured in courtroom video leaping over a judge’s bench and attacking her, touching off a bloody brawl, is scheduled to appear before her again Monday morning.
In his Jan. 3 appearance before Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus, Deobra Redden, who was facing prison time for a felony battery charge stemming from a baseball bat attack last year, tried to convince the judge that he was turning around his violent past.
Redden asked for leniency while describing himself as “a person who never stops trying to do the right thing no matter how hard it is.”
But when it became clear Holthus was going to sentence him to prison time, and as the court marshal moved to handcuff and take him into custody, Redden yelled expletives and charged forward. People in the courtroom audience, including his foster mother, began to scream.
Redden vaulted a defense table, dove over the judge’s bench and landed atop Holthus. The video showed the judge falling back against a wall and an American flag toppling on them.
Redden “supermanned over the judicial bench,” Jerry Wiese, the court’s chief judge, said in a description of the leap to reach Holthus.
The defendant, who had grabbed the judge’s hair, had to be wrestled off her by her clerk, Michael Lasso, and several court and jail officers, some of whom threw punches. Lasso was treated for cuts on his hands and a marshal was hospitalized for a dislocated shoulder and a gash on his forehead.
Holthus suffered some injuries but was back to work the next day.
Wiese credited Lasso for acting quickly, saying he was the “primary person” who pulled Redden off the judge “and probably kept her from having more severe injuries.”
Redden’s defense attorney, Caesar Almase, declined to comment.
Redden was jailed on $54,000 bail in connection with the attack but refused to return to court the next day on the new charges, so a judge rescheduled his next appearance in that case for Tuesday. Records show he faces charges including extortion, coercion with force and battery on a protected person, referring to the judge and the officers who came to her aid.
At the Monday appearance, Holthus is expected to continue sentencing in Redden’s other case, involving the baseball bat attack. He initially was charged with assault but reached a deal with prosecutors and pleaded guilty in November to a reduced charge of attempted battery resulting in substantial injuries.
Redden’s criminal record is marked by mostly violent offenses and includes prior convictions for three felonies and nine misdemeanors, District Attorney Steve Wolfson said.
“He’s been violent his entire adult life,” Wolfson said.
Redden, 30, had tried to convince the judge otherwise Wednesday.
“I’m not a rebellious person,” he told her, adding that he didn’t think he should be sent to prison. “But if it’s appropriate for you, then you have to do what you have to do.”
Redden was not shackled or wearing jail attire at the time of the attack because he had been released from custody while awaiting sentencing.
veryGood! (6225)
Related
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- A Georgia county official dies after giving testimony about a hazardous chemical plant fire
- Prime Day Alert: Get 46% Off Yankee Candle, Nest, and Chesapeake Bay & More Candles as Low as $5.88
- Ethel Kennedy, widow of Robert F. Kennedy, suffers stroke
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Victim of fraud? Protections are different for debit, credit cards.
- October Prime Day 2024: Score Up to 76% Off Top Earbuds & Headphones from Apple, Beats, Sony, Bose & More
- Seattle Kraken's Jessica Campbell makes history as first female NHL assistant coach
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Michigan Woman Eaten by Shark on Vacation in Indonesia
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Big Little Lies' back with original author for Season 3, Reese Witherspoon says
- Patrick says Texas Legislature will review Deloitte’s contracts after public loan project scandal
- DONKOLO: Bitcoin Leading a New Era of Digital Assets
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Mega Millions winning numbers for October 8 drawing: Jackpot rises to $129 million
- IPYE: Balancing Risks and Returns in Cryptocurrency Investment
- Mississippi’s Medicaid director is leaving for a private-sector job
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Judge tosses a New York law that moved many local elections to even-numbered years
Geomagnetic storm could hinder radios, satellites as Hurricane Milton makes landfall
October Prime Day’s Best Bedding Deals 2024: Save Over 60% off Sheets, Pillows & More Fall Essentials
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Ed Wheeler, Law & Order Actor, Dead at 88
Michael Keaton Reveals Why He’s Dropping His Stage Name for His Real Name
Verizon says issue has been resolved after thousands reported outage Monday morning